Friday, August 8, 2008

I did it a 10k July 4,2008

I did it!!! Yes I ran a 10k which is 6.12 miles. I have never been a runner and would actually rather walk but some of the girls in my ward talked me into running. So since Febuary I have been training to run a 5k. My goal for the summer. When I started running I don't think I could have run 1 mile without stopping. It was a really slow start but I finally learned somethings about running and then I started learning things about myself that I am much stronger than I ever thought. The first time I went running I ran about 1.5 miles then I worked up to running 3 miles without stopping. It took about a month then when I was running 3 miles 3 times a week I decided that a 10 k was my next hurdle. So then I trained for a 10 k then the week before this race I ran 10 miles with the girls in my ward. I could not believe it but I did it! So now I was training for a half marathon which is 13 miles.I decided that I needed to run a race before I ran the half so while we were at Marks family reunion Hunington City was doing a 10k so I decided to run it just for the experice. They took you up Hunington Canyon and dropped you off 6.12 miles from the finish line.I had no one to run with me so it was just me and my Ipod. I ran the race in 1 hour and 7 minutes which is about a 10.8 minute mile. This is incredible considering in high school I could not run the mile under 12 minutes to get a good grade. I was so proud of myself. My kids and mark met me at the finish line and were cheering me on ! I took third place in my age division and even got a medal!!!!!
After I stopped running though I could not walk very well it hurt really bad. So I limped around until Saturday and went to the doctors and I pulled by syatic nerve in my back. I am getting better and I hope I can get back to running in the future.

3 comments:

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

Great job Angela!!! You have come a long way. Keep up the hard work!!!

KATE said...

You ROCK!